رَبِّ ابْنِ لِى عِندَكَ بَيْتاً فِى الْجَنَّةِ
'My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Jannaah'
(At-Tahreem 66:11)


Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Envy & the Eagerness to Have More

 
Abdullaah Ibn Umar said:

While on the ark, Prophet Nuh (عليه السلام) noticed an old man whom he did not recognize. Nuh inquired: What brought you here?

He replied: I came to strike the hearts of your followers, so their hearts become with me, while their bodies with you.

Nuh عليه السلام responded: Leave O enemy of Allaah!!

Iblees said:  

There are five things that cause people to become destroyed (deviated). I will inform you of three and not of the other two.

It was revealed to Nuh (عليه السلام) that he needed not know the three, but he should inquire about the two.

Iblees said: The two that are certain to work are:

 Envy: I was cursed because of my envy, and became a stoned devil.

And the second is eagerness (to have more):

The entire paradise was made permissible to Adam (عليه السلام). I got what I wanted from him because of his eagerness.

{Source: Ibn Abi al Dunya in Maka’d al-Shaytaan, 65/44 – From: The Devil’s Deception by Ibn Jawzi (رحمه الله) pg. 74}

No comments:

Post a Comment